Looking to Invest?
Investing in property has several benefits, including the potential to:
- Generate capital growth – increase in the value of your property over time.
- Generate rental income and yield – annual rental income less maintenance &
- Gain potential tax advantages associated with negative gearing – you can deduct
the costs of owning your investment property from your overall income, reducing
your tax bill.
Is it better to buy an apartment or house?
- Do your research to find out what the market demands locally.
- Talk to a Sheldon Realty Agent to find out what’s
popular in different regions.
- If you have a location in mind, focus your research on what type of property
is in demand, historically, in that area.
- If you plan on building a portfolio of properties, a mixture of houses and
apartments is a good strategy.
- Some investors like to buy apartments because the Owners Corporation looks
after the common property and overall building management. Some dislike Strata Title
quarterly levies and the risk of ‘Special Levies’.
- Apartments are usually less expensive so the answer may lie in affordability.
- Some property investors believe apartments are too similar to one another and
that houses offer more potential to differentiate and add value.
- Investors who buy houses must bear 100% of the costs of maintenance whereas
strata title and community title owners share costs.
Which is a better property investment; a new or existing home?
- Older properties are sometimes cheaper than new ones, depending on the location
and condition of the property.
- Older homes offer charming period features and, often, higher ceilings, quality
timber floors and unique architectural features.
- Older properties may need renovation of major systems such as heating/cooling,
wiring, plumbing, roofing, but they can offer significantly more margin for renovation
- New homes are designed to suit today’s fashions and lifestyles. They’re more
likely to appeal to a wider market of tenants if well located.
- New properties you may be entitled to claim depreciation, giving you extra
Do I need landlord insurance and what does it cover?
Landlord Protection Insurance gives investors some protection in the event that
a tenant stops paying rent, abandons the property or inflicts malicious damage.
Approximately how much rent per week will I get for my investment property?
Sheldon Realty would love to give you an obligation free appraisal.
Why is it worth using a property manager?
A property manager will be able to help organise your property so it is suitable
for new tenants. Whilst the property is occupied, the property manager will make
sure all repairs and routine maintenance tasks are carried out.
Finding the appropriate tenant can present challenges. Your property manager can
set up an advertising strategy to target the right tenants, arrange an open house
inspection, and sort through applications to present you with the best range of
Property managers can also help you establish an appropriate rental price. They
do this by researching nearby properties and balancing what you want with advice
about what the market has the potential to deliver.
Australians love real estate and property investment is a proven path to financial
However, as a landlord, property investor, and asset owner, how do you best manage
Do you look after it yourself and try to…
- Save money on management fees?
- Deal with your tenants’ calls, whether they are late at night or on weekends?
- Invest your spare time arranging maintenance and solving problems?
- Learn your state’s legislation, laws, landlord rights and responsibilities?
- Work out what you can claim with your tax?
- Keep your asset maintained and up to date?
Or, do you consider engaging a property management expert?
The wise choice is to engage a qualified and professionally trained Property Manager
to save you time and money by managing your asset through all stages of the marketing,
letting and ongoing management process.
Your Sheldon Realty Property Manager is so much more than a rent collector.
We offer a comprehensive range of Property Management services and we are equipped
to deal with any challenges that may arise.
Sheldon Realty Property Managers follow:
- Consulting you to ascertain your objectives and requirements.
- Establishing the best possible rent return.
- All ingoing, outgoing and periodic tenancy condition reports, with internal
and external photos and a video walk through.
- Marketing the property, which may include a signboard, window display and internet
- Showing prospective tenants through the property.
- Screening and assessing tenants who apply to rent.
- Completion of all relevant documents required by state legislation.
- Induction outlining expectations to tenants.
- Ongoing management of rental income.
- Management of maintenance and renovations, where applicable.
- Disbursement of accounts, whether to landlord, trades or creditors.
- Regular inspections, as permitted by state legislation.
- Receiving and disbursement of bond monies to relevant authorities.
- Collation of documents and representation at tribunal hearings, where necessary.
- Arranging of regular value appraisals and asset management reports to maximise
FREE Rental Appraisal
What is your investment really worth?
Establishing a reasonable expectation of your investment property’s likely value
takes careful consideration.
Sheldon Realty Property Managers follow quality assurance guidelines
when appraising your property. We take into account comparable recent leases, your
improvements, current market condition and anything else that can possibly influence