The Beaches
2 Industrial Avenue Stratford, QLD, 4870
view on map

When people ask, “What do you do?”
We tell them, “Whatever it takes”

Looking To Rent

Looking to Rent?

The following advice is of a general nature only and intended as a broad guide. The advice should not be regarded as legal, financial or real estate advice. You should make your own inquiries and obtain independent professional advice tailored to your specific circumstances before making any legal, financial or real estate decisions.

How do I find and inspect a property to rent?

  • The easiest way to find properties to rent is via the internet or by visiting your local real estate agency
  • Some rental properties advertise ‘open for inspection’ times. You can attend these without making an appointment
  • With all other houses or apartments to rent, contact the agent to arrange a private inspection
  • Make sure to take your photo identification with you as you may be asked to register your details (for security purposes) before entering the rental property.

How do I apply for a rental property, when I find the right one?

Bravo, you’ve found the rental property you want to lease. Now it’s time to apply for it by completing a Tenancy Application form. Information your agent will be looking for includes, but is not restricted to:

  • Proof of your previous addresses including rental property history.
  • Proof of current and previous employment history.
  • How many people intend to rent the property with you.
  • The date you wish to move in and length of tenancy.
  • Proof of identity (copies of photo identification).

The more information you can provide the quicker your rental property application will be processed.

What is a residential tenancy agreemant?

A residential tenancy agreement is a legal agreement between a tenant and landlord to lease a property for a period of time. The tenancy agreement (also known as a lease) highlights the legal obligation of both parties during the tenancy period, including:

  • The amount of rent to be paid.
  • How often payments must be made.
  • The term of tenancy agreement.
  • Point of contact i.e. if the property will be managed by a real estate agent.
  • Conditions of entry and any
  • Special conditions that need to be adhered to.

What is a residential bond?

A bond offers financial protection to a landlord when renting a property. It is used if a tenant breaches part of their tenancy agreement.

  • The amount of the bond can vary from state to state and may also depending on the rental value and state of the property, and whether pets are allowed.
  • By law, the bond should be registered with the state’s governing body via a bond lodgement form. Both parties to the tenancy agreement complete this.
  • Deductions from the bond may only be withdrawn by the managing agent or landlord. This is to recover costs relating to the end of the tenancy in the event the tenant does not adhered to their obligations as spelt out in the tenancy agreement.

Who pays for the utilities (Water, Gas, Electricity)?

This may vary from property to property however in most circumstances:

  • The tenant must pay for their own electricity, gas and water charges.
  • Details regarding the payment of utilities will be mentioned in your tenancy agreement.
  • Ask the landlord or managing agent prior to leasing the property.

Do I need insurance while living in a rental property?

You should definitely take out your own contents insurance before renting a property to cover your personal possessions.

Can I stop paying rent if the landlord refuses to do maintenence?

No, unfortunately not. Your rental payments are not related to any maintenance issues. By withholding rent you would be in breach of your tenancy agreement.